Swedish massage is based on the Western concepts of anatomy and physiology, as opposed to energy work on "meridiens" or sen lines in Asian massage systems. Most people get a 50 or 60-minute Swedish or deep tissue massage, but 75 or 90-minutes gives the therapist more time to work the muscle tissue and achieve results.
As the best-known type of bodywork performed today, one of the primary goals of the Swedish massage technique is to relax the entire body. This is accomplished by rubbing the muscles with long gliding strokes in the direction of blood returning to the heart. But Swedish massage therapy goes beyond relaxation.
Melt Away Tension and De-Stress
Swedish massage helps to dilate the blood vessels, which improves circulation, which is necessary for flushing out toxins that exist throughout the body (lactic acid) that can cause problems such as swelling and muscle soreness.
It is not the actual massage that is increasing circulation, but it aids the body to initiate its own natural healing. It also increases the amount of red blood cells, protecting the body from anemia. For athletes, it is very important to keep the muscles healthy and in superior condition to increase performance.
Swedish massages assist in this process by improving muscle tone and helping to prevent fatigue and muscular atrophy which could result in injury. Injury is commonly caused by fatigued muscles that have become shortened (that is, tightened and strained). This type of massage has been known to actually lengthen the muscle, which reverses this problem.
Swedish Massage Benefits
- Increases circulation and lowers blood pressure
- Emphasizes the elimination of metabolic wastes.
- Improves the lymphatic system
- Releases endorphins
- Mechanically stretches and elongates muscles
- Stimulates parasympathetic nervous system
- Reduction in pain
- Helps improve weak muscles
- Supports relaxation and improves sleep
- Enhances blood circulation
- Increases flexibility and durability of muscles
- Allows the body to begin the repairing process
- Relaxes body and mind
- Improves all over well-being of the individual
- Relief of inner tension and stress